Sunday, October 18, 2009

Jim Lambie

Jim Lambie is a Glagow, Scotland-based artist who applies colored and glossy vinyl tape in patterns on the floors of art galleries.




"Is the room expanding or contracting? … Covering an object somehow evaporates the hard edge off the thing, and pulls you towards more of a dreamscape.” --J.L.
This kind of art can drastically affect the experience of being in the space, especially a quiet one like an art gallery. The designs and patterns on the floor can heighten the emotional experience of the observer/participant walking through the gallery. I imagine the effect is often somewhat disorienting, perhaps distracting, as ones eyes want to follow the lines around the room. Also, I think this art is interesting in the way it cannot be replicated--it is completely dependent on existing within the space in which it is created.

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

WOW I am so impressed by this. I love it, it is really incredible!

Excaliborn7 said...

I love this as well. I really do.