Monday, September 7, 2009

Blue and Green Music


This painting was created by Georgia O'Keeffe in 1919, and it is an oil painting on canvas. I was intrigued by this painting while I was looking through a modern art book. I was first attracted by the colors, but then I looked at the way the waves and lines move your eyes down to one focal point. I found myself examining each part of the artwork, but I always ended up at the same spot. I enjoyed looking at the painting because of the movement and hues, but I further appreciated it after seeing the title which is Blue and Green Music. I imagine music to flow just like the lines in this painting. There is also contrast with the dark streak in the middle, and music also has contrast. I think this depiction of music is unique, but works wonderfully in connecting art and music. In my mind, the title and what is depicted coincide perfectly, which is why I enjoy looking at this piece of art. Some people, myself included, might look at it and think the colors flow well, but without looking at the title, I believe the painting cannot be fully appreciated.

No comments: